New ECO+ scheme to save hundreds on household energy bills Dec 14, 2022

BEIS have introduced the next phase of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme, aimed at helping those who do not otherwise qualify for other government schemes

The scheme will see installations of simple low-cost insulation measures when a full package of measures is not available.

With most other schemes offering help to low-income households, ECO+ aims to also assist people living in properties with a council tax band A to D and a low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) known as the General Group.

There is still support for households with a low income through ECO+ where they have not been able to receive ECO4 funding because their home was unable to meet the Minimum Requirement.

The scheme has £1 billion of funding behind it, 80% of which will be allocated to homes in lower council tax brackets with an EPC of D or below, while the remaining 20% will be aimed at those in fuel poverty or on means tested benefits.

"Partial and full grants available"

ECO+ is set to run for up to three years from April 2023, with the first year’s costs covered by the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee. It is then assumed that suppliers will be responsible for funding projects from year two onwards.

On top of this, a new public information campaign worth £18 million will provide energy efficiency advice to households across the UK, demonstrating how customers can make savings on their energy bills by adopting certain habits.

Business and Energy Secretary Grant Shapps stated:

“A new ECO scheme will enable thousands more to insulate their homes, protecting the pounds in their pockets, and creating jobs across the country.”

With partial and full grants available, the ECO+ scheme could save hundreds a year on household energy bills, providing a buffer against the high energy prices introduced in October 2022.

With full details on how to apply yet to be released, watch this space for the latest updates.

Share this story

Get Expert Free Advice

Fill in the form below with your details and we will give you a ring back.
This form collects your name, email address and phone number so that we can respond to your enquiry. Your information will only be used for this purpose, please see our privacy notice linked at the bottom of the page to see how we protect and manage your data.

News Categories

Grants & Advice

Find out more about saving energy and the funding opportunities available.

Read More